Sunday, March 10, 2013

iphone sleeve with applique


I bought my first iPhone a few months ago.  While it has a rubber cover, I still don't like the fact that I can't safely toss it into my bag or purse without it getting scratched, cracked or dinged.

So I decided to try making an easy sleeve/cozy/cover for my phone and thought I'd make one for my sister's phone as well.

She is a Fleetwood Mac fan.  In fact, I think she should have been a teenager in the '70s because she is the queen of classic rock.  We are going to see Fleetwood Mac next month, so I had an idea for her iPhone sleeve that I thought she might like.

First, I drew a little cassette tape (sadly, none of my third graders know what this is).


I cut the paper into individual pieces and traced them onto a sheet of Wonder-Under I love that stuff!  

Then I pressed each individual piece onto fabric to create some iron-on applique.


I used two strands of embroidery thread to hand stitch around the borders (which is incredibly relaxing, but time-consuming!) and also added some extra details and embellishments to make it look more realistic.



Finally, I sewed a simple sleeve for her phone.  Safe and sound.


For my phone sleeve, I drew this little gnome, but have yet to get started.  Daylight savings threw me for a loop today, so hopefully I'll get started on it sometime this week...


No comments:

Post a Comment