Sunday, December 11, 2011

learning to fly

I finished my second (ever) quilt yesterday. My co-worker is having a baby boy at the end of this month, so it was the perfect opportunity for me to put together another of my crooked creations.

I love to sew, but I have always figured everything out as I go. I don't like reading or following the directions. I've never taken formal classes or asked for help. So instead I make it harder on myself by plowing through the unknown blindly.

This is true for everything I've done in life. But when it comes to being creative, I don't want to wait until someone else shows me. I want to figure it out now. Instant gratification. Perhaps that is why my piano playing is clumsy and my creations are often off-kilter and crooked, with little use of proper techniques.

I am hoping that the more I practice, the better I'll become and the more "polished" my creations will appear. While I try to tell myself that every snarled stitch and puckered square adds personality to my work, deep down I want to get better and to do it as well as the pro quilters I so admire.

In the meantime I'm dabbling in the onesies craze and attempting to make gifts for all the friends and family members around me having babies.




No comments:

Post a Comment